This beautiful recipe was given to me by dear friend. Without a doubt it was love at first bite - I am HOOKED on these suckers.... and guess what?! So are the kiddos!
These balls are sweet from the delicious medjool dates but the sweetness is nicely balanced by the addition of cinnamon which helps to regulate blood sugar levels. Because they are full of carrots they are packed fibre, anti-inflammatory healthy fats and beta-carotene. And I just LOVE the earthy taste of the nutmeg which gives them a delicious autumnal flavour.
At Westside we are constantly talking to clients about having healthy snacks like these on hand, so when you are feeling like a little "sumthim sumthin" at the end of the day then you have some nutritious options to turn to. Simple!
Plus they take about 10 minutes to make so there really is no excuse.
- 1 & 1/2 x cups of grated carrot
- 6-8 x medjool dates
- 1 x cup of raw nuts (I like pecan but walnut, cashew & almond all work well too).
- 1 x small handful of shredded coconut
- 1 x pinch of ground nutmeg
- 1 x tsp of ground cinnamon
- Zest from 1 orange
- 1 x tbs of almond meal or LSA to bind
- Extra shredded coconut to roll the balls in at the end
- Blend all ingredients except for the almond meal/LSA together in a food processor until well combined.
- Stir in the LSA or almond meal
- Roll mixture into balls and then roll each ball in some shredded coconut.
- Refrigerate in a sealed container for up to 2 weeks.