Add some extra nutrition to your muesli, smoothie or salad with the help of SLAP. It takes less than 5 minutes to make, stores very well in the fridge, and is less expensive to make than buying packaged LSA.
What is SLAP?
SLAP is an acronym for Sunflower Seeds, Linseed, Almonds & Pumpkin Seed. It's much like LSA but contains added zinc from the pumpkin seeds (bonus!). SLAP/LSA is powerhouse of minerals, healthy fats and fibre. This means this simple nut & seed blend can improve your bowel function, brain function, muscle repair and bone health.
Why Does LSA Need to Be Refrigerated?
LSA or SLAP contains omega 3 fatty acids with can easily oxidise if kept at a warm temperature. A cool and stable fridge temperature can help to keep the fats stable and keep all their anti-inflammatory health qualities.
How Should I Use SLAP/LSA?
There are lots of ways you can use this nutrient-rich blend. Here are some ideas for how to incorporate it regularly into your diet:
- Sprinkle over muesli
- Add a tablespoon to your smoothie
- Scatter over a salad
- Add a tablespoon to pancake/pikelet mixture
- Throw some on you porridge
- Add a tablespoon to baked goods to boost nutrition
- 2 tablespoons of sunflower seeds
- 2 tablespoons of almonds
- 2 tablespoons of linseeds (flaxseed)
- 2 tablespoons of pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
* We recommend you source organic raw ingredients where possible to increase the healthy fat content of these seeds/nuts.
- You will also need a high powered food processor or coffee grinder.
- Glass jar for storage
- Throw all ingredients into your food processor.
- Process on high speed for approx 3-5 minutes until all the seeds and nuts are broken down into a course flour-like consistency and not large chunks remain.
- Store in a glass jar in the fridge for 3 months.