I came across this recipe on Fresh Planet Flavor looking for grain-free sweets to recommend to a client and have come to find it a very reliable, healthy & kid-friendly recipe. I've made a few minor adjustments and added a few steps about how to make your own applesauce because it's very easy to do.
You can probably tell that a lot of the recipes on our website are grain-free, this is because we find many of our clients struggle to digest them well. Also you can quickly boost the nutrient content of a meal once you swap something like processed white flour for buckwheat flour or coconut flour.
Make Your Own Applesauce
Applesauce works as a wonderful binder in recipes to bring ingredients together. It also add some sweetness and extra fibre to a recipe. You can purchase some from a grocery store but it is very easy to make and will save you a few extra dollars for something else. All you need is 4 ingredients and the cake recipe will leave you with plenty left over for pancakes or baked goods!
Ingredients for Applesauce
- 4 apples peeled, cored and roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup of water
Method for Applesauce
- Place all ingredients into a large stainless steel pot.
- Cover and bring to the boil.
- Simmer for 20 minutes until the apples are soft (taking care that the water doesn't completely evaporate while cooking).
- Once cooled mash apples with a fork or hand blender
Applesauce will store in a glass jar in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. You can also freeze in an airtight container for up to 2 months.
Ingredients for Cake
- 1/3 cup of coconut flour
- 1 tsp gluten free baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Pinch of sea salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon of maple syrup or rice malt syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1/2 cup of applesauce
- 1 apple, thinly sliced horizontally
- Coconut oil to grease
Method for Cake
- Preheat oven to 170°C
- Grease a small cake tin with coconut oil. I used a 10cm x 21cm loaf tin.
- Sift the coconut flour, baking soda, cinnamon & salt into a small bowl.
- Whisk the eggs, sweetener, vanilla essence & applesauce until well combined in a large bowl.
- Gently add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients while continuing to whisk the mixture. The mixture will become very stiff.
- Add the mixture to the pan and smooth the top of the cake. Add the thinly sliced apples to the top.
- Bake for 40 minutes until the mixture feels firm to touch and is golden on top.
- Allow to cool before removing from the pan.