My go to breakfast pretty much 7 days a week is eggs in some form or other, but every now and then I really want crunchy granola with a bit of fruit and natural yogurt. I'm finding myself eating fewer grain based meals due to digestive issues, it really helps to cut down that stodgy and bloated feeling post eating that I often experience with things like oats. I'd been working on a grain free granola recipe in my head for quite a few months before I finally whipped out the ingredients and had a crack at making it, and boy is it delicious (and easy to make)!
I have this as a snack in the arvo when I need a little pick me up as crunchy foods are great for improving focus and concentration due to the work of our jaws having to chump those harder foods, and the protein and good fats give that slow burn that maintains energy for the rest of the day.
This grain and refine sugar free granola can be enjoyed with yogurt, fruit and milk (dairy free or otherwise), but its also great as a topper for fruit and yogurt or even eaten like trail mix. Enjoy! x Renee
- 2 cups buckwheat groats
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 1/4 cup hazelnuts
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup rice malt syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla essence/extract
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Line two baking trays with baking paper or silicon baking mats and set aside.
- Roughly chop the almonds and hazelnuts and place in a large bowl with the remaining ingredients.
- Combine well until thoroughly mixed. Scoop half the mixture on each baking tray and spread across thinly and evenly.
- Place in the oven and bake for 15 minutes, then swap the trays in the oven and stir the mixture around to ensure even baking.
- Bake for a further 20-30 minutes until golden brown. Allow to cool completely before placing in an airtight container.