Roasted chicken is a simple way to add protein into your diet. At Westside we always purchase organic free-range chicken, and love Cherry Tree Farms and Milawa Free Range Poultry producers for their commitment to flavour and sustainable farming practices.
The addition of ground turmeric to this meal provides anti-inflammatory and antioxidant compounds to help keep your body healthy.
From the leftovers you can have meat for salads and sandwiches for the week, and also gut-healing bone broth.
- 1 x organic free range chicken
- 1 tbs ground turmeric
- 3 x dutch cream potatoes (or 6 x large chunks of pumpkin with skin on for paleo version)
- 2 x medium beetroots
- 1 x medium sweet potato
- 1 x medium zucchini
- 1 x onion
- 3 x garlic cloves
- 1/2 lemon
- Bunch of mixed herbs such as rosemary, marjoram, thyme, sage
- Salt and pepper
- Dash of extra virgin olive oil
- 200mL verjuice*
- Remove chicken from fridge 1 hour prior to cooking, keep out of direct sunlight.
- Preheat oven to 170C degrees.
- Splash some olive oil into the bottom of a roasting pan.
- Cut beetroot, potatoes, sweet potato, zucchini and onion into large chunks.
- Place chicken into the roasting pan and drizzle some olive oil. Sprinkle turmeric over the top side of of the chicken.
- Place herbs, lemon and garlic inside the cavity of the chicken.
- Surround the chicken with the chopped vegetables. Sprinkle with salt, pepper & any leftover herbs.
- Place the chicken into the oven and roast for 1.5 hours, turning the vegetables once.
- Remove the vegetables from the pan and cover. Remove chicken from the pan and leave to rest for 20 minutes before carving.
- While the chicken is resting make a verjuice gravy by heating the oven pan on the stove until the drippings become crispy in the pan. Add verjuice and simmer on medium heat until the sauce thickens.
Serves 6. Enjoy x