We love veggie laden side dishes, they're quick to make and an easy way to bulk out main meals and get more veggies into you!
With asparagus season in full swing, why not have a try of this sweet, garlicky dish? Asparagus are a great source of vitamin C and the fibre they contain acts as a prebiotic, which means that it helps to feed the good bacteria in our gut!
- 12-16 asparagus spears (I aim for 3-4 spears per person)
- 2-6 cloves of garlic (depends on how much you like garlic)
- olive oil
- balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper
- 1 tsp rice malt syrup
- Lemon slices
- Chop the woody ends of the asparagus off (usually around an inch). Finely chop the garlic.
- Heat about 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a frying pan. Over a medium/low heat, add the garlic and asparagus and sauté for about 2 minutes.
- Add the rice malt syrup, a few dashes of balsamic vinegar and some salt and pepper and sauté for another 2 minutes or so (cook depending on how soft or crunchy you like your asparagus, I like mine a little crunchy so I cook it for 4-5 minutes tops).
- Serve with a few slices of lemon.