Making your own chemical-free face cleanser is easy
Have you ever checked the ingredients of you favourite skin cleanser? Most of us would struggle to pronounce some of the ingredients, let alone know what they are or where they come from.
Many substances used in skincare manufacturing (such as EDTA, sodium lauryl sulfate and formaldehyde) are harmful to our bodies. In many instances they are known carcinogens (substances known to cause cancer).
You can avoid these harmful substances simply by making your own skincare products at home. It’s fast, cheap and so simple to do.
I whip some a batch of this skin cleanser every month or so. It's gentle and effective, you can apply the product to the skin every day - it's both nourishing and deep cleansing to clear out clogged up pores.
If you find the skin is too oily, simply cleanse you skin at night and by morning the oil will have absorbed into your skin, leaving it soft a smooth.
About Bentonite Clay
Bentonite clay is formed by volcanic ash and contains many minerals including silica and magnesium. It acts to detoxify the pores of the skin due to it's difference in electrical charge. This assists it's drawing action to pull excessive oil and gunk from the pores to give you softer, smoother and clearer skin. To learn more about Calcium Bentonite (green clay) - we recommend reading more here.
Using Non-Metallic Equipment
Bentonite clay strips heavy metals from the body and from any minerals it comes into contact with….including your aluminium or stainless steel cookware.
- 2 tbs coconut oil
- 2 tsp raw honey - I love this brand
- 1 tsp baking soda - this brand is great
- 1 tsp bentonite clay - I recommend this brand
- 3 drops essential oil of your choice - I love ylang ylang or geranium oil
- Dried flower petals
- Mix all ingredients in a non-metallic bowl and store in a glass jar.
- Leave ample room in the jar as the mixture will swell as the clay expands.
- To use simply wash your face with warm water.
- Apply a small amount to the skin (about the size of a 20 cent coin).
- Massage into the skin and wash off with a warm wet face cloth.
Keeps for up to 3 months in a sealed container. I prefer to use a glass jar for a container but you could also use a food grade plastic one. In the warmer months the oils will separate, simply stir to recombine.